For Predictive Maintenance Management it is key that the UT thickness source data have excellent accuracy and repeatability.
Automatic UT measurements with permanently installed UT sensors provides significant advantages for thickness repeatability. The data below shows the variability of Manual UT readings on marked TMLs where there is no thickness change.
Factors that cause variability in manual UT measurements include:
- Surface cleanliness
- Couplant application
- Sensor location variability
- Calibration of the instrument and probe
- Setup of the instrument detection method and gates
- Operator not able to verify with previous readings
PIP360 Auto-UT uses:
- permanently bonded sensors on prepared surface.
- Thickness algorithms that auto-calibrate for sensor and couplant delay